Thursday, August 6, 2009

Summer...Is it really almost over?

I can hardly believe that the summer is almost over. It seems impossible. I have tried to harvest as many herbs as I could this year. It was a learning experience for me. Last year I put in over 100 herbs on to my small plot of land. Almost all returned this year. I spent my time in learning how they grow and tried to keep track of their habits and special needs. This year I spent the time pruning and harvesting and learning what they are used for. I sometimes think I will never be a true herbalist and at times feel overwhelmed with all the knowledge. But it is slowly finding the space to occupy in my brain. Lodging itself into the vacant nooks and crannies.
I have been blessed to have a friend who has been an herbalist for many years. She has been great helping me out and pushing me forward. Her favorite line is "I love new herbalist their desire to learn and eagerness to create renews my spirit in herbalism and stirs the same fire with in me." She has been a great friend and teacher. Thanks! My lovely friend Joan!
This has been a busy summer for me. My gardens are doing well and to my surprise they have not become over run with weeds. My clients seem pleased this year with my work. I am truly grateful. I promised myself that I would try to do my best work this year for them. The economy has put such a damper on their businesses. I refuse to let their businesses look like they are suffering. I have given a lot of my time for free or bartered in some way. Do not get me wrong there is no money tree in my back yard. I too am suffering the effects of the economy but I REFUSE TO LET IT GET ME DOWN.
In honor of my Sweet Friend's beloved animal companion Sage, I dedicate this post. He passed away a couple of weeks ago. He was a great dog! My White sage that is growing this year and will be harvested in dedication to him. I placed sprigs of it in the bouquet, that I hand gathered only the most exquisite specimens from my garden for him, to be dried and burned in his honor.

2 comments: