Friday, December 18, 2009

The Palm Oil Controversy

I have been creating my soap with organic palm oil. I have just found out about the "The Palm Oil" controversy and my thoughts... Over the past few years, "bio-diesel" has created a huge demand for oil... palm oil. Palm oil is only harvested significantly in tropical (rain forest) regions and thus... the problem. More demand for "crude palm oil" means more deforestation. When I became aware of this issue, I switched to "organic palm oil" which is a renewable resource. Organic palm will not contribute to the "palm thirsty" industry which ultimately demands more deforestation. So, rest assured, with the use of organic palm you will not be a contributor to deforestation of tropical regions.

1 comment:

  1. someone recently told me not to use palm oil as it destroys orangatang habitat (through deforestation.) I will say that not long ago I saw a palm oil operation in Central America, and that community seemed genuinely excited about their prospects, as they had real community ownership in the business. Can't say if it was certified organic, though.

    ReplyDelete